Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tsukiji Fish Market

Um...yeah, can I...uh...get the steak?

There is a place in Tokyo where eating fresh sushi for breakfast is totally normal. A place where jet-lagged tourists can wander back-alleys at 4am and not get stabbed in the gut. A delicious, glorious place that is found by following your nose like Robert Downey Jr to a coke dealer. Some people might call a place like this Heaven, but with some detective work, I discovered the locals refer to it as Tsukiji: the largest wholesale fish market in Nippon.

I never really tried sushi this early in the morning before visiting the market, but I'm so glad I did. Watching a truck drive up to deliver their morning inventory of fish to the restaurant; while the chef quickly goes to work preparing your meal with said fish is really something to behold. I quickly found myself questioning the situation; then realizing this probably only happens in a few places in the world. This is also possible in a video game called Cooking Mama, but I digress.

Tourists gather around at 5am before the auctions begin.

Cheerful fishermen sing and whistle while they maintain some pretty expensive tank equipment.

One of the many sushi restaurants you will find in Tsukiji. I was ushered in after I saw the truck pull up around back with fresh fish.


The chef prepares my sushi (on the right), while the noisy crew continues to prep the fish. My plate was the tuna assortment platter. (from left to right): Fatty tuna, tuna, minced tuna, spicy tuna rolls, boiled tuna, seared tuna, and a glass of green tea. I was honored that the chef waited for my opinion after I finished eating, so I gave him a good, solid "sugoi!", followed by an "oishii desu", and finally a hearty "gochisusama" (meaning: Amazing, it's delicious, thanks for the meal). He then bowed deeply as I left, and I'm pretty sure we both shed a tear simultaneously.

Where's my fucking steak?

ZOMG!! Gimmi Teh Fishez!! I R GUNNAH GIT HIMZ!!!

No comments: